Chip's Resume: Difference between revisions
(Added Passport Health Plan information)
No edit summary
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
I am a data
I am a data , architect, and with expertise in the design, implementation, and maintenance of enterprise-scale business intelligence, data mining, data quality, and data migration projects. I have led teams of people through every phase of Enterprise Data Management, and I bring experience from high profile, large-scale clients such as NASA, the City and County of San Francisco, the US Air Force, and the US Postal Service. I have experience with the program management and development lifecycle standards required to run organized, repeatable, and successful data warehousing projects. I have personally designed data models, coded extract-transform-load (ETL) processes, built reporting architectures, and administered databases and application servers. I have matriculated into planning, architecting, and managing teams performing these tasks on increasingly large and complex systems.
Revision as of 02:38, 21 November 2012
Data Architect, Data Hobbyist, and Data Scientist
I am a data scientist, architect, and artist with expertise in the design, implementation, and maintenance of enterprise-scale business intelligence, data mining, data quality, and data migration projects. I have led teams of people through every phase of Enterprise Data Management, and I bring experience from high profile, large-scale clients such as NASA, the City and County of San Francisco, the US Air Force, and the US Postal Service. I have experience with the program management and development lifecycle standards required to run organized, repeatable, and successful data warehousing projects. I have personally designed data models, coded extract-transform-load (ETL) processes, built reporting architectures, and administered databases and application servers. I have matriculated into planning, architecting, and managing teams performing these tasks on increasingly large and complex systems.
Clearance: DoD Top-Secret
Wright Patterson Air Force Base Dayton, OH
Data Architect and ERP Contractor with Deloitte (2003-Present)
- Performed systems and network analysis, visualizations, and requirements planning for an IT assessment and Roadmap of AF Global Logistics Supply Chain (GLSC) owned and managed systems
- Team manager for a staff of 24 people, in a leadership role on a team of 40+ members of a Data Quality initiative as part of a 150+ person ERP team.
- Provided data management, quality, governance, and oversight to for hundreds of logistics and financial systems with the new policies, procedures, and data requirements introduced by the USAF’s Oracle ERP installation – one of the largest Oracle implementations in the world, managing a $36 billion inventory and related supply chain.
- Responsible for the Data Management Organization’s Master Data Management component, including the technical management of various lists of values, building of a data dictionary, and integration with the enterprise data modeling efforts.
- Created an IT strategy and roadmap for the Air Force’s Global Logistics Support Center focusing on Data Management, Systems, Maintenance and Governance.
- Led a team to create a Business Intelligence strategy for the Air Force ERP system. The design stretches from high level governance and policy issues to technical Business Intelligence architecture and enterprise warehouse design.
- Performed as the technical team lead for a development team which integrated over 50 source systems and data marts into a large data warehouse. Ultimately we were responsible for integrating maintenance, supply, logistics data, and systems tracking specific assets into the Air Force Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Built standards and repeatable CMMI processes for every aspect of Data Warehouse management, including modeling and loading new source data, data mart processing, report specification and building, ongoing maintenance, and pretty much everything in between.
- Technical demands included Oracle, WebSphere MQ, Business Objects, Cognos, Informatica, SharePoint, MediaWiki, and Teradata support, design, and development in a closely integrated environment.
Passport Health Plan Louisville, KY Data Consultant (October 2012 - Present)
- Established a new data warehouse from the ground up for a Medicaid health care management company of ~250 people
- Built training materials, project plan, initial data models, design patterns, coding standards, physical architecture and infrastructure and all relevant documentation for a completely new data warehouse from scratch
- Integrated sources from COTS health care, call center, IT management, and other systems into an integrated data warehouse
- Designed a Kimball-compliant star schema data warehouse implemented in Microsoft SQL Server with SSIS/SSAS/SSRS components and a Tableau based dashboard
Cincinnati Financial Corp. Cincinnati, OH Data Warehouse Consultant with Deloitte (Jan-Feb 2010)
- Provided third party evaluation of a nascent EDW implementation plan. Helped drive Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) adoption and identified solutions to project implementation roadblocks.
FirstEnergy Corp. Akron, OH, Data Migration Contractor (2002-2003)
- Supplied technical expertise and programming support for a large scale SAP R/3 migration using Informatica, Oracle, and SAP/ABAP tools.
- Worked closely with both a functional and technical team to design, develop, test, and deploy a migration mechanism for Human Resources data.
US Postal Service Raleigh, NC, Data Warehouse Contractor (2002)
- Provide Informatica and data warehousing expertise for the USPS very large data warehouse initiative.
- Primary responsibility was on increasing performance on very large data loads to the warehouse. For example I reduced the running time for some loads from 80+ hours down to 4 hours.
Clients with KPMG Consulting Washington, DC, Senior Consultant (1998- 2002)
City and County of San Francisco (2000- 2001)
- Designed and implemented a terabyte scale data warehouse for the City.
- Responsible daily for Oracle tuning and database administration (DBA) work, Informatica and Cognos design, development, and performance tuning. Also administered large Windows NT and HP-UX servers.
- Marketed the warehouse to senior department heads, eventually creating departmental data marts and a distributed Oracle environment.
- Developed end user training, documentation, and robust testing/validation procedures.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) (1999-2000)
- I was part of a team that designed and developed an enterprise-wide data warehouse (EDW) for NASA. I was the main technical resource on the project, and my duties included researching, specifying, purchasing and administering $1.5 million of Sun hardware running the Solaris operating system.
- I was involved in the entire lifecycle of this EDW. I met with scores of functional people from across the country to develop logical and physical data models. I led a small team in the Informatica development for data transformation and cleansing from disparate source systems to the Oracle EDW. We worked with the Holos OLAP package and Crystal Reports and Brio ad-hoc query tools to deliver a web-based reporting solution to the client's specifications.
Performance Executive (various clients)
- Performance Executive was a packaged data warehouse that we marketed to clients of our proprietary accounting systems. I was one of several technical resources on the project throughout my tenure at KPMG, and I was involved with every aspect of the product's creation, testing, and marketing. Primarily the product was back-ended in Oracle 7,8, or 8i, and Microsoft SQL Server, with an Informatica engine for data cleansing and transformation. The front-end tool of choice was Cognos Impromptu and PowerPlay, although some clients used Business Objects, Brio, Microstrategy and Crystal reports.
US Senate, Washington, DC (Fall, 1999)
City of Ottawa, Canada (as needed 2000)
Dahlgren Naval Base, Dahlgren, VA (as needed, 1999-2000)
Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, OH (Summer, 1998)
Oakland County, Michigan (Sept. 2001-Feb. 2002)
Other Work Experience:
Xavier University Cincinnati, Ohio WebMaster/Programmer/Analyst (Fall 1993 - March 1998)
Farwell and Hendricks Cincinnati, Ohio Senior Thesis Project Worked on thesis project with Farwell and Hendricks to develop a Windows 95 program to collect and analyze data for electronic devices. The program collected 5,000-10,000 samples/second from hardware placed on an earthquake simulator, displayed graphs, and analyzed results to determine instabilities in electric current. Neat stuff!
Education Xavier University Cincinnati, Ohio
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Computer Science
Extensive Experience With
- Informatica PowerCenter
- Cognos and Business Objects Business Intelligence Products
- MySQL, Oracle and Teradata Database Products and SQL
- ErWin Data Modeling Tool
- Windows Server, Linux and Unix (Various) Operating Systems
- Apache, PHP, HTML, TCP/IP, Other Internet Technologies
Working Knowledge of
- R (The R Project for Statistical Computing)
- Microstrategy, Brio, Holos, Crystal Reports
- Apple Macintosh OS, OpenVMS
- SQL Server, Microsoft IIS
- SAP R/3: ABAP and HR InfoTypes
- DCL, Pascal, C, C++, Visual Basic, Visual C++, SQL
- PGP, Numerical Cryptographic Theory, System Security
- Numerous other software packages, feel free to ask
- Sun, Hewlett-Packard, and IBM Hardware
Other Relevant Experience
- Oracle Unified Methodology Level 3 Certification
- SEI/CMMI project lifecycle management standards
- DAMA DMBOK and ITIL Practices
- Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF)