Data Architect, Data Hobbyist, and Data Scientist
I am a data scientist, architect, and artist with expertise in the design, implementation, and maintenance of enterprise-scale business intelligence, data mining, data quality, and data migration projects. I have led teams of people through every phase of Enterprise Data Management, and I bring experience from high profile, large-scale clients such as NASA, SpaceX, the US Air Force and the US Senate. I have experience with the program management and development lifecycle standards required to run organized, repeatable, and successful data warehousing projects. I have personally designed data models, coded extract-transform-load (ETL) processes, built reporting architectures, and administered databases and application servers. I have matriculated into planning, architecting, and managing teams performing these tasks on increasingly large and complex systems.
Clearance: DoD Top-secret (expired 2010)
- "Prediction of lung cancer patient survival via supervised machine learning classification techniques" - International Journal of Medical Informatics
- "Application of unsupervised analysis techniques to lung cancer patient data" - PubMed / PlosOne
Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) Hawthorne, CA Sr. Data Scientist (2018 - Present)
- Created an isolated secure Supply Chain vendor portal to improve purchasing lead time and reliability
- Performed SQL Server development with SQL, R, Reporting, Integration, and Analysis Services along with a C#/.NET custom ERP
- Worked on Data Science/Machine Learning tasks including predictive analytics for supply chain management using natural language processing and computer vision
- Maintained the Operating Plan - predictive data set for headcount/resource management planning
- Worked to reduce scrap costing >$150M
- Implemented architecture for Python/Flask/Database production predictive analytics tasks including time estimates, computer vision projects
- Designed and implemented metrics/kpi architecture from root code to C-level dashboards
- Managed and maintained full-stack C# development environment with Jenkins, Bitbucket, Git and other tools to support all company operations
Passport Health Plan Louisville, KY Data Warehouse Architect (October 2012 - 2015 & 2017 - Feb. 2018)
- Established a new data warehouse from the ground up for a Medicare health care management company of ~250 people
- Built training materials, project plan, data models, design patterns, coding standards, physical architecture and infrastructure and all relevant documentation for a completely new data warehouse from scratch
- Quickly implemented Data Quality and Data Dictionary systems through designs pioneered through my previous projects
- Integrated sources from COTS health care, call center, IT management, and other systems into an integrated data warehouse following a Kimball-compliant star schema design
- Implemented the design in Microsoft SQL Server with SSIS/SSAS/SSRS components and a Tableau based dashboard
- Managed ERP and DWH migration during a large corporate merger - integrated data from outgoing and incoming systems into the DWH to minimize stress on reporting
Farm Credit Mid America Louisville, KY Data Warehouse Architect (Jan 2015 - Jan 2017)
- Led a very small team to build a new data warehouse from scratch, designing policy, procedures, and establishing a VP-Level governing steering committee
- Designed a star schema database with multidimensional cube support to house data from our $21 Billion Loan/Lease business
- Enabled initial end user capability in only a few months; continued to improve and roll out BI capabilities and expand data warehouse footprint
Wright Patterson Air Force Base Dayton, OH
Data Architect and ERP Contractor with Deloitte (2003-2012)
- Performed systems and network analysis, visualizations, and requirements planning for an IT assessment and Roadmap of AF Global Logistics Supply Chain (GLSC) owned and managed systems
- Team manager for a staff of 24 people, in a leadership role on a team of 40+ members of a Data Quality initiative as part of a 150+ person ERP team.
- Provided data management, quality, governance, and oversight to for hundreds of logistics and financial systems with the new policies, procedures, and data requirements introduced by the USAF’s Oracle ERP installation – one of the largest Oracle implementations in the world, managing a $36 billion inventory and related supply chain.
- Responsible for the Data Management Organization’s Master Data Management component, including the technical management of various lists of values, building of a data dictionary, and integration with the enterprise data modeling efforts.
- Created an IT strategy and roadmap for the Air Force’s Global Logistics Support Center focusing on Data Management, Systems, Maintenance and Governance.
- Led a team to create a Business Intelligence strategy for the Air Force ERP system. The design stretches from high level governance and policy issues to technical Business Intelligence architecture and enterprise warehouse design.
- Performed as the technical team lead for a development team which integrated over 50 source systems and data marts into a large data warehouse. Ultimately we were responsible for integrating maintenance, supply, logistics data, and systems tracking specific assets into the Air Force Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Built standards and repeatable CMMI processes for every aspect of Data Warehouse management, including modeling and loading new source data, data mart processing, report specification and building, ongoing maintenance, and pretty much everything in between.
- Technical demands included Oracle, WebSphere MQ, Business Objects, Cognos, Informatica, SharePoint, MediaWiki, and Teradata support, design, and development in a closely integrated environment.
Cincinnati Financial Corp. Cincinnati, OH Data Warehouse Consultant with Deloitte (Jan-Feb 2010)
- Provided third party evaluation of a nascent EDW implementation plan. Helped drive Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) adoption and identified solutions to project implementation roadblocks.
FirstEnergy Corp. Akron, OH, Data Migration Contractor (2002-2003)
- Supplied technical expertise and programming support for a large scale SAP R/3 migration using Informatica, Oracle, and SAP/ABAP tools.
- Worked closely with both a functional and technical team to design, develop, test, and deploy a migration mechanism for Human Resources data.
US Postal Service Raleigh, NC, Data Warehouse Contractor (2002)
- Provide Informatica and data warehousing expertise for the USPS very large data warehouse initiative.
- Primary responsibility was on increasing performance on very large data loads to the warehouse. For example I reduced the running time for some loads from 80+ hours down to 4 hours.
Clients with KPMG Consulting Washington, DC, Senior Consultant (1998- 2002)
City and County of San Francisco (2000- 2001)
- Designed and implemented a terabyte scale data warehouse for the City.
- Responsible daily for Oracle tuning and database administration (DBA) work, Informatica and Cognos design, development, and performance tuning. Also administered large Windows NT and HP-UX servers.
- Marketed the warehouse to senior department heads, eventually creating departmental data marts and a distributed Oracle environment.
- Developed end user training, documentation, and robust testing/validation procedures.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) (1999-2000)
- I was part of a team that designed and developed an enterprise-wide data warehouse (EDW) for NASA. I was the main technical resource on the project, and my duties included researching, specifying, purchasing and administering $1.5 million of Sun hardware running the Solaris operating system.
- I was involved in the entire lifecycle of this EDW. I met with scores of functional people from across the country to develop logical and physical data models. I led a small team in the Informatica development for data transformation and cleansing from disparate source systems to the Oracle EDW. We worked with the Holos OLAP package and Crystal Reports and Brio ad-hoc query tools to deliver a web-based reporting solution to the client's specifications.
Performance Executive (various clients)
- Performance Executive was a packaged data warehouse that we marketed to clients of our proprietary accounting systems. I was one of several technical resources on the project throughout my tenure at KPMG, and I was involved with every aspect of the product's creation, testing, and marketing. Primarily the product was back-ended in Oracle 7,8, or 8i, and Microsoft SQL Server, with an Informatica engine for data cleansing and transformation. The front-end tool of choice was Cognos Impromptu and PowerPlay, although some clients used Business Objects, Brio, Microstrategy and Crystal reports.
US Senate, Washington, DC (Fall, 1999)
City of Ottawa, Canada (as needed 2000)
Dahlgren Naval Base, Dahlgren, VA (as needed, 1999-2000)
Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, OH (Summer, 1998)
Oakland County, Michigan (Sept. 2001-Feb. 2002)
Other Work Experience:
Xavier University Cincinnati, Ohio WebMaster/Programmer/Analyst (Fall 1993 - March 1998)
Farwell and Hendricks Cincinnati, Ohio Senior Thesis Project Worked on thesis project with Farwell and Hendricks to develop a Windows 95 program to collect and analyze data for electronic devices. The program collected 5,000-10,000 samples/second from hardware placed on an earthquake simulator, displayed graphs, and analyzed results to determine instabilities in electric current. Neat stuff!
Education Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
- Graduate Certificate in Data Mining
- Currently pursuing PhD of Computer Science in Data Mining
Extensive Experience With
- R and Python data science stacks
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Informatica PowerCenter
- Tableau, Cognos, and Business Objects Business Intelligence Products
- MySQL, Oracle and Teradata Database Products and SQL
- ErWin Data Modeling Tool
- Windows Server, Linux and Unix (Various) Operating Systems
- Apache, PHP, HTML, TCP/IP, Other Internet Technologies
Working Knowledge of
- Microstrategy, Brio, Holos, Crystal Reports
- Apple Macintosh OS, OpenVMS
- Microsoft IIS, C#
- SAP R/3: ABAP and HR InfoTypes
- DCL, Pascal, C, C++, Visual Basic, Visual C++, SQL
- PGP, Numerical Cryptographic Theory, System Security
- Numerous other software packages, feel free to ask
- Sun, Hewlett-Packard, and IBM Hardware
- MelissaData Geocoding and Fuzzy Matching SSIS Packages
Other Relevant Experience
- Oracle Unified Methodology Level 3 Certification
- SEI/CMMI project lifecycle management standards
- DAMA DMBOK and ITIL Practices
- Medical Coding including ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT, DRG, BETOS, HCPCS, and others
- Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF)
- Top 1% ranking in Kaggle and top 5% finisher in their $3Million Heritage Health Prize Data Mining Competition
- Completed Coursera's May 2013 Data Mining class "with Distinction"
- Maintain websites for http://heartsforkenya.com/, and http://daytonartists.org/
- Guest lecturer at Software Guild, Louisville Makes Games, Louisville Data Science Interest Group, and Microsoft SQL Saturday